Thursday, December 01, 2005

Initial Thoughts

Ultimately, my reasons for going to law school become more and more clear the more I dwell on them. As I believe I’ve expressed to you in prior conversations, the logic and the rules of law appeal to me. I also feel that through the practice of law, specifically in the role of a litigator, I could have the most impact on issues that are important to me. I realize that most law students go into the profession with grand ideals and aspirations and come out slightly jaded and working in a role that they didn’t envision, and I would not presume to say that this is beyond the realm of possibility for me. However, part of what is driving my decision to pursue this path, and part of what fuels my intellectual and moral curiosity are issues closely tied to those of law. Civil rights. Social justice and moral standards (not the “I hate video games, nudity and howard stern” standards, more like “I hate racial intolerance, political and corporate corruption and ignorance” standards). It may sound a bit cliché, but the 2004 election, and all of the world events subsequent to it have added fuel to my belief that there is an awful lot that is fundamentally wrong with many aspects of people and institutions in this country (and elsewhere) and that, misguided or not, I could potentially do something to remedy a little bit of that. Being in Israel during the pull out, seeing pictures and reading a Kristof report about Darfur, tsunami’s, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc etc etc. ad infinitum. All of these issues eventually end back up in questions of law, be it a legal precedent, a territorial dispute or a violation of some code of military conduct. By being afforded the opportunity to approach these problems in a methodical, logical manner, and by utilizing your own capacities for reasoning, an individual can have a chance of making some sort of difference.

No comments: